The bank has made available free everyday banking and overdrafts to 650,000 small businesses, waived overdraft and other fees for customers, and is helping to implement the UK Government’s support schemes.
They will be setting out further programmes to assist businesses and households in the coming days and weeks.
Today the company is announcing the establishment of The Barclays Foundation, initially to provide a COVID-19 Community Aid Package of £100 million to charities working to support vulnerable people impacted by COVID-19, and to alleviate the associated social and economic hardship caused by the crisis.
The package is made up of two components.
First, a corporate contribution of £50 million, which will be donated to, and deployed via, a variety of charities working to support vulnerable people impacted by COVID-19, and in alleviating the associated social and economic hardship caused by the crisis.
The money will be disbursed principally in the UK, but also in Barclays’ international markets, including the USA and India.
Second, is a £50 million commitment by Barclays to match personal donations made by our employees to charities of their choice, local to them, and which are working to support communities impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
Component 1 – Charity Partners Programme
- A £50 million fund.
- Disbursed principally in the UK, but also in some of our international markets such as the US and India, in part reflecting where our most significant colleague population centres are.
- Funding deployed via partnerships with trusted charities who can have a direct and immediate impact on the communities we wish to help in those geographies.
- Funding to be targeted at programmes as local to our major locations as possible – the places where our colleagues live and work, and where they can potentially help directly.
- The money will be used to help disadvantaged people (those suffering from social and economic deprivation as a consequence of COVID-19), the elderly and vulnerable communities most at risk from COVID-19, and to support NHS staff and other keyworker communities.
Component 2 – Employee Matched Donations Programme
- A £50 million commitment.
- Barclays will match an individual colleague’s donations to charities working to support vulnerable people impacted by COVID-19, and in alleviating the associated social and economic hardship caused by the crisis.
- A colleague may select a charity of his or her choice for their donation and matching programme, provided the charity is officially registered, and is engaged in supporting communities impacted by COVID-19.
- Un-utilised corporate funds (any balance of the £50 million) at the end of 12 months would be deployed to the Charity Partners Programme so that Barclays meets its overall public commitment of a £100 million contribution to COVID-19 Community Aid.