Public Health Lewisham produced a briefing for community groups and foodbanks operating during the Covid-19 crisis. Their briefing details how to maintain these standards, detailing advice on preventing the spread, food hygiene, food collection, social distancing and waste disposal.
The government has published guidance for consumers on Covid-19 and food on their website. It includes:
- It is very unlikely that you can catch coronavirus (COVID-19) from food.
- Cooking thoroughly will kill the virus.
- COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. It is not known to be transmitted by exposure to food or food packaging.
- Everyone should wash their hands regularly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds, to reduce the risk of illness.
- It is especially important to wash hands before handling food or eating.
More guidance and resources
This checklist highlights the essential labelling-related requirements for safely and legally redistributing surplus food, and the additional requirements when freezing food to be redistributed.
Nourish Guidance Scotland have some good guidance for community food projects.
Download and print their useful guidance on:
Risk assessment templates are available here.