Forster Memorial Park is a popular public park off Whitefoot Lane. It is unusual in that the central area of amenity grassland is surrounded by a ring of relict ancient woodland.
This park was originally part woodland, part fields, and owned by the Forster family. In 1919 Lord Forster, a local resident and Governor General of Australia between 1920 and 1925, made a gift of part of his estate as a memorial to his two sons, Alfred and John, who were both killed during the First World War.
The ancient woodland provides peace and tranquillity in a heavily urbanised area. The park has a number of play and sports facilities, including new children’s playgrounds, two full-sized football pitches and one junior pitch – there’s even a BMX track. The park is patrolled by an on-site park keeper.
Whitefoot Lane, Catford, BR1 5SQ London Greater London United Kingdom