The name of this pub recalls the barges which plied their trade on the Croydon Canal. Opened in 1809, the canal was replaced (in 1836) by the railway line, which was laid largely along the same course.
The text reads: This locality was known as South Deptford when the roads and houses first began to be laid out in 1852. As Deptford became increasingly industrialised, so the well-to-do headed for the higher ground, to get away from the noise, dirt and smoke, and the encroaching slum dwellings of the workforce.
The sanctuary of the southern slopes was covered over the wide avenues and substantial houses and villas. Streets of fine houses, such as Wickham Road, were built (home to, amongst others, the Kiwi boot polish millionaire), and shops lined Brockley Road stocked with all the goods needed by solid upper middle class households.
184 Brockley Rd London Greater London SE4 2RR United Kingdom