About the Mayor’s Award
The Mayor’s Award recognises the voluntary contributions of individuals, young people, community groups and local business in Lewisham. Award recipients are nominated by a resident or organisation based in Lewisham.
The Mayor’s Award is organised by Lewisham Council and delivered in partnership with Lewisham Local. Nominations usually open in September with the awards ceremony taking place in November/December.
Mayor’s Awards 2020
Lewisham Mayor’s Awards 2020 : Response to Coronavirus
The Mayor’s Award scheme was launched in 2017 to recognise those who live, work or study in Lewisham who volunteer time and support to benefit others in our borough.
This year we are recognising the phenomenal contribution of so many who have played a critical role in in the borough’s response to COVID-19. Essential contributions have been made through so many ways including:
- Formal volunteering
- Helping a neighbour
- Starting a local support group
- Donating money and food
- Businesses redirecting services and goods
If you know an individual, young person, community or faith group, voluntary organisation, local charity or business that has made a difference during the coronavirus pandemic, please take a few minutes to nominate them for a Mayor’s Award.
There are various categories of award. This year these are:
- Individual e.g. neighbour helping neighbour, volunteering through a local mutual aid group.
- Young person (for people aged 21 and under) e.g. helping an older person, supporting food distribution.
- Business e.g. giving free food to food banks, or making the business more community minded.
- Community group or voluntary organisation e.g. adapting or setting up new activities in response to the circumstances.
Please bear in mind this is not an exhaustive list of examples.
Process & Recognition
It’s been a different year, so we are taking a different approach where we recognise the contribution of all nominees.
A selection of initiatives, projects and stories will be made into short videos to showcase the diversity of the contributions: the videos will be shown at a special week of thanks in January 2021.
Nominations will be open from 12th October to 6 December.
Who You Can Nominate
- You can nominate any individuals, young person (aged 21 and under), community group or voluntary organisation, or business.
- You can make more than one nomination e.g. for more than one individual or a young person and a business.
- Previous nominees from past year’s Mayor’s Awards can be nominated again.
Who You Can’t nominate
- Elected Lewisham Councillors
- You can’t make a nomination to obtain or reward political favour, or reward or promote political activities.
How to Nominate
- You can make a nomination online via the link at the bottom of this page.
- You can also make a nomination via a paper form available by contacting Liam.O’DohertyLovely@lewisham.gov.uk or 0208 314 7733
- Please fill in the nomination and return by Midnight Sunday 6 December.
Just follow these simple steps to make a nomination;
- Please enter the nominee’s name, email address, telephone number and home / organisation address.
- Tell us in up to 300 words why this person, organisation or business should be considered.
- Specify which of the four categories the nomination is for.
- Also enter your name, phone number and email address.
Submitting the Nomination Form
You can either
- Fill in the online nomination form via link at the bottom of this page.
- Or email the completed nomination form: to Liam.O’DohertyLovely@lewisham.gov.uk
- Or post the completed nomination: to
Liam O’Doherty Lovely Lewisham Council, 3rd floor, Laurence House, Catford, London SE6 4RU
The closing date for nominations is Midnight Sunday 6 December. Thank you.
This form will be available on Monday 12 October.
Winners of the 2019 Awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2019 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Damien Egan on 29th November 2019. Over 60 nominations for individuals and organisations were submitted to celebrate voluntary contributions in Lewisham. All nominees received a Mayor’s Award certificate with four nominations selected as category winners.
The winners for 2019 were:
- Young person achievement award – Nike Ajijola, for her contribution to youth engagement within Lewisham Health Watch.
- Individual volunteer award – Christine Tedder, who has been volunteering with Lewisham’s Guiding movement for over 50 years.
- Community group award – UCKG Soup Kitchen volunteers.
- Local business award – Tamara MacFarlane of Tales on Moon Lane Books, a local business supporting community Learning and literature.
Winners of the 2018 awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2018 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Damien Egan on 30th November 2018. Over one hundred nominations for individuals and organisations were submitted to celebrate a voluntary contribution in Lewisham. All nominees received a Mayor’s Award certificate with four nominations selected as category winners.
- Young person achievement award – Ashleigh Maskell
- Individual award – Sue East
- Local business award – Parlez Eatery
- Community group award – The Church of the Good Shepherd with St Peter, Lee
Click here for a full article of the 2018 awards evening.
Winners of the 2017 awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2017 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Sir Steve Bullock 24 November 2017. One hundred people and/or organisations were given a Mayor’s Award, thanking them for their voluntary contribution in Lewisham. Three were awarded as category winners and two were presented with special awards from the Mayor:
- Robert Morrison – Individual Award
- Teklehamanot Beraki – Young Person Achievement Award
- Deptford Folk – Community Group Award
- Pat Fordham MBE and David Cummins were presented with special awards for ‘exceptional contribution to community life in Lewisham’ for their voluntary work for Phoenix Community Housing.