About the Mayor’s Award
The Mayor’s Award recognises the voluntary contributions of individuals, young people, community groups and local business in Lewisham. Award recipients are nominated by a resident or organisation based in Lewisham.
The Mayor’s Award is organised by Lewisham Council and delivered in partnership with Lewisham Local. Nominations usually open in September with the awards ceremony taking place in November/December.
The Mayor’s Award scheme was launched in 2017 to recognise those who live, work or study in Lewisham who volunteer time and support to benefit others in our borough.
This year we recognised the phenomenal contribution of so many who have played a critical role in in the borough’s response to COVID-19. Videos were made of selected videos across the categories of: Young People, Individual Volunteers, Community Groups and Local Businesses.
Winners of the 2019 Awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2019 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Damien Egan on 29th November 2019. Over 60 nominations for individuals and organisations were submitted to celebrate voluntary contributions in Lewisham. All nominees received a Mayor’s Award certificate with four nominations selected as category winners.
The winners for 2019 were:
- Young person achievement award – Nike Ajijola, for her contribution to youth engagement within Lewisham Health Watch.
- Individual volunteer award – Christine Tedder, who has been volunteering with Lewisham’s Guiding movement for over 50 years.
- Community group award – UCKG Soup Kitchen volunteers.
- Local business award – Tamara MacFarlane of Tales on Moon Lane Books, a local business supporting community Learning and literature.
Winners of the 2018 awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2018 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Damien Egan on 30th November 2018. Over one hundred nominations for individuals and organisations were submitted to celebrate a voluntary contribution in Lewisham. All nominees received a Mayor’s Award certificate with four nominations selected as category winners.
- Young person achievement award – Ashleigh Maskell
- Individual award – Sue East
- Local business award – Parlez Eatery
- Community group award – The Church of the Good Shepherd with St Peter, Lee
Click here for a full article of the 2018 awards evening.
Winners of the 2017 awards
The Mayor’s Awards 2017 were hosted at the Civic Suite by Lewisham’s Mayor Sir Steve Bullock 24 November 2017. One hundred people and/or organisations were given a Mayor’s Award, thanking them for their voluntary contribution in Lewisham. Three were awarded as category winners and two were presented with special awards from the Mayor:
- Robert Morrison – Individual Award
- Teklehamanot Beraki – Young Person Achievement Award
- Deptford Folk – Community Group Award
- Pat Fordham MBE and David Cummins were presented with special awards for ‘exceptional contribution to community life in Lewisham’ for their voluntary work for Phoenix Community Housing.