What is the Christmas Challenge?
The Christmas Challenge is the UK’s biggest online match funding campaign. It launches on #GivingTuesday (this year that’s 1st December) and brings together hundreds of charities in one high profile campaign to raise millions of pounds for charity.
The Big Give‘s Christmas Challenge gives charities’ donors the chance to double their donations as you raise vital funds for your work. This year it will run from midday Tuesday 1st December to midday Tuesday 8th December. See what last year’s participants had to say about their experiences of the Christmas Challenge.
The Childhood Trust
The Childhood Trust is London’s child poverty charity, funding grassroots projects that support children and young people impacted by poverty. We achieve this through our fundraising campaigns, corporate volunteering programmes and advocacy on the issue of child poverty.
In 2019, The Childhood Trust supported 72 charities through the Christmas Challenge, raising over £2.2m for children and young people across London.
To support its charities through the Christmas Challenge campaign, The Childhood Trust will:
- Run a workshop to support charities through the campaign on How to Run a Successful Fundraising Campaign.
- Run a simultaneous awareness raising campaign on child poverty in London, highlighting the issues and driving traffic to charities participating in the Christmas Challenge with The Childhood Trust.
- Provide one-to-one support to participating charities where requested.
The Christmas Challenge is open for applications from all charities that meet the following criteria:
- Charities with at least one set of accounts showing on the Charity Commission
- Charities with over £25,000 income as per their last financial accounts Total funds to be raised in the campaign must be between £4,000 and £100,000.
To be funded by The Childhood Trust, charities must be working with vulnerable children and young people (4-18yrs) based in London.
Please visit their website for more information.
How to Apply
If you have any questions about the Big Give platform, please email the Big Give directly on firstname.lastname@example.org.
**To find out how the Christmas Challenge is responding to Coronavirus pandemic, visit the Big Give’s Coronavirus FAQ page.
The Campaign Timeline
- Deadline for the stage 1 application: 5pm Friday 3rd July.
- The deadline to collect the pledges: 5pm Friday 28th August. Remember you can start collecting your pledges as soon as you have submitted your stage 1 application, so the sooner that is submitted, the more time you have to collect the pledges.
- Campaigns start: mid-October
- Campaign Week: midday Tuesday 1st December – midday Tuesday 8th December