Lewisham Council offer micro commissions of up to £1000 until June 12th
Lewisham Council are offering micro-commissions of up to £1,000 for the creation of activities, workshops and interactive creative and cultural projects for Lewisham’s residents from June to November 2020. We will be looking for a wide range of different activities and projects but are particularly interested in:
· Activities to safely engage Young People aged 11-25 that provide a space for them to connect to their peers, reflect on their experience of lockdown and voice their hopes for the future.
· Activities that connect with isolated vulnerable adults.
· Projects that celebrate Lewisham’s diversity
· Projects that explore how we can use our current experiences in taking action on climate change.
Fill out the We Are Lewisham 2020 Micro Commissions Application Form to register your interest.
Contact the Cultural Development team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 314 9609 with any questions.
1. Background These are difficult times that see Lewisham’s cultural sector and communities facing extreme challenges. We believe that culture has a vital role to play in supporting our well- being, reflecting on the positives and negatives of our current situation and re-enforcing the message of Lewisham Together.
There is a lot of pressure on Lewisham Council’s resources currently as we support our critical services and our most vulnerable residents. However, with our venues closed and local events cancelled, including Lewisham Peoples Day, we realise that there aren’t many opportunities for our residents to enjoy culture and for our freelance artists to benefit from paid commissions. So we are joining together with our cultural partners to develop a programme of activities that can be safely enjoyed at home.
We are offering micro-commissions of up to £1,000 for the creation of activities, workshops and interactive projects that creatively and culturally engage Lewisham’s residents from June to November 2020. We will be looking for a wide range of different activities and projects but are particularly interested in:-
• Activities to safely engage Young People aged 11-25 that provide a space for them to connect to their peers, reflect on their experience of lockdown and voice their hopes for the future.
• Activities that connect with isolated vulnerable adults.
• Projects that celebrate Lewisham’s diversity
• Projects that explore how we can capitalise on our recent experiences in taking action on climate change.
Activities need to provide opportunity for community members to take part and can be from any art form; poetry or spoken word workshops, dance, creative writing, interactive comedy, group crafting projects, photography and video making, storytelling, customising clothing.
The I Am Lewisham Website www.iamlewisham.uk will soon link to a new page and virtual cultural offer We Are Lewisham 2020. This page will showcase on-line local offers already being produced by Lewisham based creatives and organisations. Successful applications will also have their projects linked to this page.
3. Assessment Criteria
We will be using the following criteria to assess applications:
• Meeting our Priorities: How well does the proposal meet our priorities for the micro- commissions set out in section 2 above – you only need to meet one of these priorities.
• Artistic Quality: How well does the proposal respond to this creative challenge? What is the track record of the artist/arts organisation?
• Deliverability: Is the proposal realistic? Can it be delivered safely within current social distancing guidance? What are the opportunities for sharing any work that is created?
• Value for money: We are not asking for any match funding and appreciate that these are not very large amounts of money, but we will be considering the impact of our funding. How many participants will benefit? We understand that there can be a trade- off sometimes between the quality of experience and numbers of participants so please explain your reasons for the number of participants that you are aiming to work with. What are the opportunities for sharing any work that is created?
We think that we will receive more applications that meet the criteria above than we are able to fund. In reaching our final decisions we will also be taking into account:
• Funding a good range of activities and art-forms.
• A mix of digital and analogue projects.
• Reflecting the full diversity of Lewisham’s communities.
• Testing out new ideas/approaches to inform the cultural sectors response to social distancing.
• Priority will be given to Lewisham based individuals and organisations.
4. Technical Requirements
Please use question 9 in the application form to give us information on any additional technical support you think you might need to deliver your project. There is also technical support via Arts Council England www.artscouncil.org.uk/developing-digital-culture/digital-culture-network and Covid Tech Support www.covidtechsupport.com .
We cannot fund:
• Individuals – if you are an individual with an idea, you need to link up with a local organisation, we can help you with this so please apply first with your idea. We will accept more than one application from organisations for different projects with different lead artists.
• Activities that promote political views or religious beliefs.
• Commercial or business-related activities.
• Any project that does not meet social distancing guidance.
6. Timeline dates
Tuesday 26th May – Application start date
Friday 12th June – Deadline for applications
Monday 22nd June – successful applicants notified
June – November 2020 – Projects live and running
Monitoring forms should be completed within 2 weeks of completing your project. Monitoring forms will be sent to successful applicants.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Cultural Development team at email@example.com or call 0208 314 9608.