Lewisham Local is proud to partner with local organisations to promote volunteering roles to the community. We advocate an excellent all-round experience for volunteers, therefore we ask all partners to ensure:
- The volunteering role you are offering is meaningful and engaging for the volunteer
- The ideal commitment from the volunteer is either flexible, or no more than 1 specified day per week
- A nominated person will respond to volunteer applications within a reasonable timeframe following receipt of the application, whether you would like to take the application forward or not
- Opportunities are based within the Lewisham borough, or within a reasonable short distance for a resident of Lewisham
- Organisations are transparent in their aims and objectives and have good standards in volunteer management
- Partners promoting volunteering opportunities have the following policies and procedures in place:
- a written health and safety policy;
- a written equal opportunities statement or policy;
- Public Liability insurance;
- a fire safety procedure;
- an accident book and first aid kit;
- a risk assessment to ensure that the premises / role that volunteers will be involved in have been adequately risk assessed
- Where organisations work with vulnerable client groups, a written safeguarding policy is in place
- Organisations lead on their own recruitment and selection of volunteers and provide appropriate induction, training and ongoing support to volunteers
- A named contact(s) is available for the duration of the volunteers’ time with the organisation
- A reimbursement / payment of travel expenses within Transport for London Zones 1-6
We welcome the opportunity to work with volunteering projects that are based within or set up by faith organisations. However, we cannot be involved with any project that is used in any way to recruit members – from their clients or their volunteers – to any religious organisation, nor any project that is used to promote the tenets of a particular faith.
Campaigning and/or Political Organisations
We welcome the opportunity to work with campaigning organisations. We will not promote roles that are closely connected with any political party or campaigns that are not in-keeping with the charitable purpose of our organisation.
If you have a paid opportunity that meets the London Living Wage, you can post your opportunity on Lewisham Local’s Jobs page.
We will approve opportunities based on the above information and by submitting this role you confirm on behalf of your organisation that you meet the above requirements.
Where organisations do not have the required policies and procedures, we are happy to offer guidance. Please get in touch with: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for large numbers of volunteers or are looking to fill niche volunteering roles, please get in touch with us to find out about our other routes of promotion.